Pages

Translate

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Snowboot Sock Magnet

We just got our first snow of the season!  Weather report is calling for a couple days of snow and the expectancy that it will stay is ZERO.  Temperatures here in Washington are just too warm to support snow on the ground.  It's so unfortunate because the boys finally want to play in the snow, whereas when we were in Maine the snow was just too high and they were too small.  I love days when it snows.  Even in Maine the temperature seemed to warm up when the snow was flying... well, warmed up to tolerable levels.  I actually really like to go out and shovel while the boys play.  Great to have a reason to get out and do some purposeful exercise and get some fresh air.

Took the boys to go sledding.  G still wants me to ride with him, which is fine by me.  P is more adventurous so I think he took about three times as many runs down the hill.  During one of my treks up the hill I began to wonder what it is about the mechanics of the snowboot that encourage sock removal.  Anyone who does not know what I'm referring to has clearly never experienced playing in the snow to the fullest.  It's when you've moved around enough in the snow and suddenly you start to feel your warm sock creeping off your foot.  As a kid I recall my mom wrapping my feet in sandwich baggies or bread bags.  This was to keep your feet drier since we would play in the snow for hours.  By the time we came in to warm up our sock was hanging on by a toe and our feet were slipping all around in those sweaty plastic bags.  For some reason I guess I thought the snowboot would have evolved since childhood.  Or maybe my socks would be tight enough to withstand the "foot stripping" appeal.  I was wrong.  The toe of my snowboot was like a sock magnet, tugging relentlessly at my wimpy socks.  Four trips up the hill and I could feel exposed heels.  Felt like I needed some sweet sock garters.  And on that note, I'm now going in search of a picture of a 1950's husband, home from work wearing the black sock garters and gigantic starched boxers...  wish me luck.  This could be a whole new market for the sock garter manufacturers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment