Pages

Translate

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My kitchen corner from hell

Well, Christmas is over and all surprises went off without a hitch.  Now I find myself in slow season for my business, and no homework to occupy me.  So I was back to working on the house again today.  The other day I cut a hole in a cabinet to give me better access and usable space.  Today I was finishing up the revamp of the corner of the kitchen.  The corners of kitchen are notorious for wasted space.  You either end up with a crappy lazy susan or a blind corner where appliances and other items go to hibernate and you forget they exist until it's time to move and you have to dig them out.  My kitchen had one of the worst corner designs I've seen.  I'm guessing that the original kitchen was designed with one of those counter-depth refrigerators.  This had since been replaced with a regular fridge, but the lower cabinet set too far back to be able to open the door to truly access the broken lazy susan that lay in there.  When the door was open you literally had 4 inches of width to get things in and out.  For the upper cabinets we had to standard 12-inch deep cabinets that met in the corner, creating a blind corner.  The problem with these is that the cabinet sitting over the fridge was too far back to access it without climbing on a chair and there was no space to store any of those big platters you bring out for entertaining. 

Okay, so my master plan was this.  I would pull out the old lower corner cabinets the one next to the fridge with one I built that was 28 inches deep instead of 24 - which brought it just shy of being flush with the frame of the fridge.  The huge cabinet in the corner was now a blind corner, but I have plans to install sliding shelves in there for better access.  Here is a picture of what I had to work with...

For the upper cabinets I wanted a cabinet above the fridge that extended further forward.  We were tossing things like bread and chips up there, so even if all I do is start storing those in the cabinet, it will at least clean up the space some.  The corner is a bit trickier.  I chose to keep it just as deep as the cabinet above the fridge which made for a massive cabinet.  But the cabinet that goes next to the opening in the wall needed to be a particular size so it would match a similar cabinet on the other side of the cutout.  This meant that I didn't end up with a rectangular corner cabinet, but instead there is a small lip that turns that 90-degree angle.  It looks a little odd right now, but I'm confident I can make it look useful.  So for the cabinets above the fridge and in the corner I had to build those from scratch.  Went to Home Depot, grabbed a 4x8' sheet of 3/4" hardwood plywood and had them cut it up a bit for me.  If you've never tried to maneuver one of these on your table saw, trust me it's not worth that hassle.  And I find myself flying solo right now while my husband is overseas, which would have made it near impossible for me to do it.  So had the plywood chopped up some, and then perfected the dimensions when I got it home.  Cut some grooves for the lower shelves.  The cabinet hangs on the wall to the left of the opening was taken off the wall, cut down to size with my circular saw and then nailed/screwed back together.  I highly recommend repurposing cabinets if at all possible.  Cuts down on the amount of waste and really no need to reinvent the wheel completely if you don't have to.
 
So what do I have now?  Yup, a big mess.  The cabinets are up, although as I type this I'm waiting for my drill's battery to recharge so I can put a final screw in one of them.  As I look at the pictures I'm tempted to add some sort of corkboard to the inside of one of the cabinets so I can get rid of the fridge clutter too.  Just need to finish them with trim, paint and doors.  And naturally now comes the fun part of trying to figure out which premade cabinet organizers will make the best use of this new space.  Suggestions if you were going to do this in your kitchen?  Protect your countertops if you're taking down upper cabinets.  I don't have a countertop right now, so that wasn't a problem for me.  Ask for some help.  I'm super stubborn, so when it came to putting that corner cabinet up I was sweating and panting.  Those are hard enough to put in with one person holding it and the other screwing it in, so I'm not sure how I managed to do both those jobs.  But really glad it's done.  Finally, it's not going to look like perfection until the trim is on, so don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't look exactly as you envision it when it first goes up.
 
And now, I have a massive pile of sawdust to clean up.  Very glad to have the grunt work done on this job so now I can work on the finishing touches because that's when you really get to see your vision taking shape.    


No comments:

Post a Comment